View Single Post
Old Mon May 8, 2017, 06:11 PM

Stopping all transfusions....

After successfully fighting an infection in hospital, my mother was discharged last week and returned home one last time. Today, we found out that her oncologists have decided to stop all transfusions as they do not appear to be helping her anymore. According to the doctors, she may do "better" for a while without. For the past two weeks, her counts have stayed somewhat stable.... Hemoglobin low 80s but today at 74, platelets went from 11 to 10 in the past 2 weeks. Her white count went from 0 to 1.5 today. She has not had any transfusions for 2 weeks now.

I always thought the end would follow a period of time when my mom would need multiple transfusions per week. Thus far, she has never had more than one transfusion of platelets and or hemoglobin per week.

Are doctors seeing something else that we don't see? My mother does not want any part in "assisted dying" nor does she want to have any extraordinary measures that will extend life. She/we just want as much quality of life and no pain as possible.

She maintains she feels good and does not feel like she's actively dying.

Can she really live for weeks/months without transfusions?
this is such a roller coaster!!!

Tks for any advice, input.

Annette