My thought was to give my doctor a few weeks to make the inital contact on my behalf and then if I don't hear anything then I will call them myself.
With the doctor making the referral I was hoping my medical information could be sent to UMass so they could determine if I am a candidate for this clinical trial and even perhaps reduce any of the tests prior to the trial that they might require.
Tom, since these drugs are non-toxic I am much more interested in participating because I don't believe it will cause my untreated condition to worsen. It is certainly a question to discuss before getting involved.
I am a high school teacher so I was hoping to be involved in this clinical trial over the summer when I have more free time.
If anyone else has any further information, I would still appreciate hearing about it. I will keep everyone updated if I end up participating in this trial.
Female, age 52 - Diagnosed May, 2011 Hypoplastic MDS. Cytogenetics showing 2 abnormalities on chromosome 15. Blasts<5%, IPSS of 1. All blood counts low, but no treatment; watch and wait. Registered for MUD; on Feb. 23/12 two donor matches found but returned since not needed yet!