View Single Post
Old Tue May 1, 2012, 09:00 PM

We had private insurance since John was only 51 at the time. He was on disability from work but not home bound. Not knowing anything about medicare, but couldn't they send a nurse to do the injections?

We had home health care come out to teach us how to do the sub-Q desferal and they also came out to assess him for wound care. Which I found odd since he was going to the doctors at least weekly at that time.

I was very nervous with the whole thing. I learned to do way too much in the way of wound care, hickman care, injections... Lots of deep breaths.

The growth factors could be considered as palliative care. They are not a chemotherapy.

You can do oral B12. About 5000 mcg on an empty tummy once a day. I would suggest the methly form of B12. I would assume they check for nutritional deficiencies already but be sure to ask and be sure to get the lab reports. B12, Folate, copper, iron, b6, vit D and zinc should be assessed.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.