View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 7, 2008, 08:39 PM

Aranesp

Hi Dee,
I'm sorry to hear about your father's diagnosis. I am writing because I have been receiving monthly vidaza treatments since August of 2006. So far, the vidaza has been very helpful in improving my blood counts. MDS has affected my white, red, and platelet counts. I have had an iron infusion as well as monthly hemoglobulin infusisons. My treatment cycle consisted of 7 days of vidaza (2 shots per day) each month. I also would receive a shot of aeranesp and neulasta each month. As of November of 2007 I am now on a maintenance schedule for vidaza. My treatment now consists of 5 days of Vidaza shots every 6 weeks along with the additional shot of aeranesp and neulasta. I am younger than your dad, 48, but I still have been able to work. I get an occasional infection which has been sucessfully treated by antibiotics. I am able to drive myself to and from my treatments. I also am very cautious about my health. I try to get enough rest, exercise and eat healthy foods each day which I am sure has played a major role in being able to stay "healthy." Probably the best thing I do for myself is work at keeping my attitude positive. I have a job I enjoy (teaching), a new grandbaby, and am still able to do the other things I enjoy. I have made some minor adjustments to my lifestyle. I used to compete in running races and triathalons. I still exercise, but I no longer push myself in competition. Anymore, my satisfaction comes from being able to get out and exercise. I have learned to listen to my body. I take life a whole lot easier now than I have in the past. Your dad is blessed to have you on his side. Good luck to both of you. I am available if you have any other questions or concerns you might like to share.
Kathy
Kathy, 47, diagnosed with MDS IPSS Intermediate Risk, Refractory Anemia and Thrombocytopenia both secondary to MDS. 8/06-treatments include 14 shots Vidaza monthly, aeranesp, neulasta when needed also have polycystic kidney disease