View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 29, 2007, 03:31 PM

Hi,

I've been reading your posts about being a young adult with SAA. I was 24 yrs old in 1980 when I was diagnosed. I had just graduated from college and was about to embark on my life. Aplastic anemia brought that to a screeching halt. I had to leave where I was living in upstate NY and go home to live with my parents outside of NYC. It was very difficult for me to give up the independence it had taken me 6 years to establish and I resented it. But I didn't have a choice. In 1980 things were very different than today - BMTs were available only to patients with matched siblings (I am an only child), the National Marrow Donor Program did not even exist yet, and there was no internet to search for information and resources! I went to the library and checked out both books that mentioned aplastic anemia but I didn't like what they had to say and decided my life was not going to go that doomed route. I had ATG the first time as part of one of the early clinical trials out at Fred Hutch in Seattle. I won't bore you with all the details - you can read it in my personal profile (Andrea Pecor's personal profile) here on MarrowForums.
I want to reiterate what someone else posted about it being an advantage to being diagnosed young when one is presumably healthy otherwise, as it increases the chance of a good response to treatment and keeps open the possibility of a bone marrow transplant.
I have been very lucky and responded well to ATG on five separate occasions over a 22 year period. Although AA significantly altered the course of my life, I have spent more time being healthy than sick. I have come to regard the disease as something of a gift which reminds me regularly of the things in life that are important. To a degree, I can "not sweat the small stuff" because it's all small stuff! I know it has made me stronger, more self-confident and I am so pleased when I can help others through my association with the AAMDSIF and Marrowforums.
I would be happy to answer any questions or share with you how I have dealt with some of the challenges that have faced me over the years.

wishing you all the best,
Andrea