View Single Post
Old Sat May 14, 2011, 02:54 AM

Smile How is desferal given

Hello Chirley

It is a shame you have to go down the desferal path but is is necessary to keep the ferritin down. It is much easier when your Dr does not wait until it is quite high as happened with David. He used the pump at night and became used to it very quickly. The hospital taught him how to use it subcutaneously. The port makes it more convenient but a nurse would need to refill it. It is the same type of pump that is used for chemo and I have seen patients getting them refilled. We had to buy ours and I donated it back to the hospital. Follow Marlene's advice and you should be ok. If there were any side effects they were not especially noticed with all the others.

I hope this sudden cold weather does not last long. I miss my sunny wide verandahs in the country but I am looking forward to visiting my son in Wales during their summer.

Look after yourself and keep smiling.

Helen