View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 13, 2011, 02:01 PM

Hi holmg418,

I am also tapering 25mg every 2-3 months. I get my CBC done monthly. I think this is important because you want to spot the trends. I had to ask for the extra CBC, but my doctor agreed to do it without too much of a fight

The approach that I am taking is that if I see a significant drop in platelets (15-20%), and I have not been recently sick, I will ask for a retest after 1-2 weeks. If it is still dropping, then we will treat it as a relapse and increase the cyclosporine to my "stable dosage" (4-5mg/kg/day).

If things are slowly trending down and I'm worried about it, I will ask to stay on the current dose longer (or even increase it 25 mg) until things are stable.

If things are pretty stable or rising, I will continue with the taper schedule as planned.

Ultimately, you are in charge of your taper schedule! If you are worried that it is too fast, you can slow it down - just tell your doctor that you are doing so and discuss the risks/benefits.

Best of luck! Get that extra CBC! It will give you tremendous peace of mind