Thread: Day 82 update
View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 2, 2015, 11:35 AM

Day 82 update

Hi All - Closing in on day 100. For the most part I'm doing well - getting to go home where I can take walks and see my dog - otherwise I'm still going to the hospital for blood and treatments at least once a week. its taking a long time for my numbers to rise - Hgb hovers around 8 and I still am getting transfusions - although slightly less frequently - My platelets were up to 60 but have drifted down to 19 and I needed a transfusion yesterday - first since leaving the hospital. Good news is my WBC and neutrophils are well into normal. The other good news is there is no sign of disease or cytogenetic abnormalities in the marrow. At this point I'm 88% donor - with another BMB scheduled at day 90.

A couple of weeks ago GVHD began to develop on my skin - they gave me a big dose of prednisone which worked well for a time - but then they tried to taper me - which only achieved a stalemate - I'm on 50mg prednisone daily and the rash covers most of my body - from shoulders to feet - mostly red with some small raised welts - it can get itchy and annoying and I'm nervous it will get worse. Prednisone is wasting away my muscles, causing edema in my legs and spiking my blood sugar - eager to stop the stuff.

The plan is to start me on Retuxin tomorrow with the hope of clearing up the GVHD and getting me off the prednisone - they also hope it will generally help my counts. Have others tried Retuxin for acute GVHD?

Trying to maintain a positive attitude and exercise as much as I can. Mostly trying to be patient - Anyone take so long for counts to get closer to normal? Best to everyone.
Thanks
Paul
Lower risk MDS diagnosed 2012. Recurring skin nodules treated with prednisone, otherwise watch and wait. HG dropped from 11.5 to 8.7. Kept going down to 5. Vidaza didn't work. BMT from MUD on September 10 2015