View Single Post
Old Fri May 20, 2016, 11:52 AM

Logain,

I've been struggling lately with feeling horrible physically and with the emotional effects of other people who are still - after nearly 44 years! - thinking and accusing me of being a hypochondriac. Platelet count is still under 30K; RBCs low; HCT at 27.

On to my point... There are many women besides myself who have had children after their AA diagnosis and before they had a serious mitigation of their disease. I've heard of them and met them at conferences over the years. I could have only one child, but he is perfectly healthy and has always been so. He's one of the cheeriest people I've ever met and I don't know where I would be without him, in so many ways. When I got pregnant with him, I had a platelet count of 18K and they told me I would not be able to carry for more than a few weeks. I carried for just short of 42 weeks (he weighed nearly 8 pounds and was born with long fingernails, even!) and although it was a bit scary, we went home healthy and happy after 3 weeks in the hospital. This was back in 1974. I required no transfusions during the pregnancy except at the very end and my counts even went up a bit; I don't know if this was due to testosterone crossing the placental barrier, as I was carrying a male infant, or what...

Please never give up on miracles. They happen all the time. Many blessings to you and your wife.