View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 16, 2012, 06:14 PM

I need info to help my dad...

OK so I made one post before about his MDS and most recently his platelets have been good but his red and white cells are both down. His white cells are at 1.4 I believe he said last time I talked to him. He says they told him his red cells are down too but OK so we're not worrying about that right now. His only treatment option for his MDS is chemo which he does for 5 days every fourth week. He's too old and sick to do anything else.

So anyway here's my predicament.... The last couple chemo treatments the Dr. stopped giving his opinion as to weather or not my dad should take the shots for his white cells, probably because the shots haven't been working longer then 2 weeks at a time, and has instead started asking my dad what he thinks they should do. He keeps telling my dad that he thinks it's the chemo causing his red and white cells to go down.

Dad goes in for chemo on the 31st so I'm doing my best to get as much info together for him to help give him an informed decision and trying to find some good questions for dad to ask the Dr.

Dad is thinking about stopping the chemo but doesn't know what will happen or if it's even a good idea at all. If his MDS gets worse it will turn into AML and then we've been given a prognosis of about 6 months if it does. He was extremely high risk when he was diagnosed. His Dr. told him that if he stops the chemo he has to be off of it for at least 2 months to see any results. The entire family is not only scared but confused too and none of us knows what to do.

I'm not saying you have to tell me what to do but I'm wondering if anyone has any good questions to ask the Dr. Just a good place to start so we can get the most info to make the best possible decision. We have all come to piece knowing that we may only have a few years left with him so we're all doing the best we can but we don't want to shorten our time if we can avoid it lol. Thank you sooooo much for any and all responses! Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!