View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 11, 2012, 06:38 PM

lupus causing AA

I've been taking medication for lupus now for one month and just had my cbc run and my counts are............coming up!! The cause of my aplastic anemia all those years ago and the cause of my problems now seems to be lupus. I will have another cbc in one month and another appt. with my rhuematologist for definite confirmation. For anyone questioning if that could be the cause of your AA, I will tell you that my test run by my hematologist for lupus was negative. I had to go to a rhuematologist and even then I only showed one of the 4 indicators for lupus on my blood test. She explained that her field of expertise is never black and white. This was a shot in the dark that turned out to be dead on. I urge anyone who is battling AA to get tested for lupus as well. Lupus is managable with medication, but can be life-threatening without. Amongst other things, it will cause kidney failure if not treated. I will be getting a kidney panel run on me since it was so long ago that I originally battled my AA.

36 yr. old, dx SAA in Jan 1996, treated with ATG in Mar. 1996, off cyclosporine Sept. 1996, last blood transfusion in Aug. 1997, slow decline in counts again November 2010, AA and current count decline thought to be caused by lupus, currently taking 400mg Plaquinil