View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 21, 2014, 09:06 PM

Clairekim,

I'm sorry, I haven't logged on in a bit. There's nothing to really do to avoid enteroviruses, they're as common as the common cold (rhinoviruses). My son stayed out of school for 9 months but would sometimes catch them from his brother. Now his white blood cells are in the normal range and he is back in school. He's had 4 colds in 8 weeks, though. Just this last weekend my husband and I were worried about him because his color was different, like it is when he gets sick. It's not his hemoglobin going down - he had an appointment on Fri and it was steady (although his platelets were down by close to 30k but still at 100k) , but his look changes. Then on Monday afternoon he came home from school and *bam* he looked better. I looked at my husband and said, "he's better" and he said "yup". It's odd, you can actually see it. But luckily he's recovering from whatever it is, I guess, rather than it staying. But it's also a bummer because that process is still there, so we don't know what it will do when he weans off his cyclosporine. Please let us know what your wife's doctors decide to do. I've read various studies about relapsers responding to cyclosporine "monotherapy" (i.e., where the doctors start giving cyclosporine alone again hoping to bring counts back up rather than doing ATG again automatically) and the statistics seem to be between 40-60%. If I find a study I will post it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairekim View Post
Hi Curlygirl,

Thank you for sharing that with us. What is causing his virus? Are you doing anything avoid the virus?

I spoke with our Neurologist, but he's quite adamant that Keppra is not what is causing this problem. His reasoning is that AA didn't happen the moment she started taking this medicine.

But I still think there is something to do with this medication. It may be that her bone marrow is reacting more sensitively to this medication in the presence of some other factor. Otherwise, I can't explain how her counts could drop like that within just matter of days.

Good luck to you all.