View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 17, 2016, 02:52 PM

Smile Update

I thought I would post an update as it has been quite awhile since I first shared my story here on the forums. I am now 5.5 years post Allogeneic MUD SCT (9/10) and 9 years post original diagnosis of low risk MDS with 5q- chromosome abnormality (see my story above). Since my last posting, I have met my international donor (just the nicest person ever!) and we continue to keep in contact. I now see my transplant Doctor once a year and my local Onc/Hem every 4 months whom I saw this morning. I continue to have very stable blood counts with the only issue being low IGG levels and receive an infusion of antibodies if necessary. A year ago I was given the okay to discontinue my remaining medications (Acyclovir and Bactrim), but experienced a couple of infections (oral and upper respiratory) so was put back on them although I am currently reducing the dosage of Acyclovir and we'll see how it goes. I continue to lead a normal life for which I am extremely grateful and I want to give hope and inspiration to those of you considering or going through the transplant journey...

Sending my continued prayers and blessings to you all.

Grateful1