View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 16, 2008, 02:47 AM
Administrator

Paul,

Thanks for your kind words about my profile. As time goes on, I find I am a little hesitant to share the details of my treatment because the technology and care has improved so much in ten years that it makes much of my story obsolete. But, there are some parts that don't change much: arm yourself, as you are doing, with as much information as you can, get to the best transplant center you can, and have someone else along with you to listen and help you process it all.

Regarding how long it takes to get the results of a bone marrow biopsy, I can only say that from my experience at City of Hope that it takes about a week to get the basic pathology report that tells you about the number and shapes of cells in your bone marrow. More detailed information from cytogenetic studies that look at the chromosomes in your marrow can take a couple of weeks. It is the combination of information from these tests that will give your doctor the clearest picture of what disease you may have.

Your full brother would be the best chance for a matched donor, with your half brother and half sister next. Other relatives and friends are less likely to match but no one should ever be discouraged from having their marrow tested on the chance that they could help someone searching for a donor!

I can appreciate the uncertainty you and Flowerlady face about how to decide on a transplant center. The National Marrow Donor Program supplies survival statistics for transplants by treatment center and by patient diagnosis and age. Although it is important to be treated at a center experienced in dealing with your particular disease, I also think there is a significant value to being near family and loved ones who can support you through the process.

Hope this helps.

Ruth