View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Hi, welcome to Marrowforums. Your member name certainly says it all! I'm glad your transplant for MDS/AML was successful but sorry your having such a battle with skin GVHD.

I have to disagree with you about the use of prednisone and clobetasol. While prednisone can be a difficult drug for a lot of people to take, it is usually a first-line treatment for chronic graft-versus-host disease. Most drugs have potential benefits and potential problems, but that doesn't mean any one drug is inherently good or bad. The trick to treating GVHD is knowing when and how to use them. For that, you must rely on doctors who can base their recommendations on their experience as well as what's known and published in the medical literature. No single patient's experience (including mine) can provide the answers for everyone.

I also strongly disagree about taking only half the dosage of any prescribed medication. If you have reason to believe that your prescribed dosage is causing problems, you should let your doctor know immediately, decide together what changes to make, and then make those changes with the full knowledge of the doctor.

Regards,
Ruth