View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 12, 2014, 05:29 PM

Just finished ATG

I just finished my round of ATG. Treated here at NIH in Bethesda as part of clinical trial. 4 straight days of 4 hour infusion. There are side effects; some people get them, some don't, and there are different levels of reactions in everyone that are just not predictable. It was an easy decision for me. It's the standard treatment with 60-70% success rate in lieu of a bone marrow transplant. Since you don't know how you'll react, find a facility that has treated this before and the staff knows the symptoms and how to treat them. Most importantly, do the treatment during the week, not on the weekend! Best places are medical schools/research hospitals. My side effects were mostly 'shake and bake', and usually delayed several hours after treatment, but a good facility is ready with medication/management of the side effects. There is also a risk of 'serum sickness' for a few days after you complete treatment for flu-like symptoms. You'll get through it!