View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 17, 2017, 01:30 PM

Brian welcome, your history is interesting and fairly typical of what many of us have experienced. Neil offered very good advice. I felt great going into my diagnosis. I was introduced to MDS following a routine CBC when experiencing a kidney stone attack. I had been hardly ill during my entire life so the kidney stone attack was a surprise followed by a greater surprise. I had two BMBs within a couple of weeks and was diagnosed with RAEB-2 and blasts at 19 percent and three genetic mutations. Immediately the doctors started me with Vidaza (azacytidine) in preparation for a stem cell transplant which occurred eight months later. My donor was a 20 year-old male from Germany. My situation was kind of unique in that I felt fine the entire time leading up to the SCT and golfing weekly and walking the six-mile hilly course without any problems. It is always my recommendation that if a stem cell transplant is in the future, it is important to have it when in as good of health as possible. In other words don't wait too long. We wish you the best in this experience.