View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 25, 2012, 02:51 PM

H Tashmac

Happy holidays to you too! It is my understanding that a high retic count, high LDH and low haptoglobin are signs of hemolytic anemia. So I'm not sure that a high retic count would mean that your hgb should be going up. Rather, I think that the opposite would be true (red blood cells are being hemolyzed resulting in a greater proportion of reticulocytes), although I'm not 100% sure on this. I would have to go back and read up on this topic -- it's been awhile and I just don't remember.

But, as many have pointed out, each case is different, and hopefully you and your medical team can figure this out for you. I don't know if rituximab (Rituxan) would be indicated or work for you. Evidently it is successful in many hemolytic anemia cases (just not mine). As I mentioned, I too was on prednisone, which is typical for hemolytic anemia, but prednisone is definitely a mixed bag. It can be an essential part of treatment and do wonderful things, but it also can have nasty side effects.

Keep us posted!

Marmab
Marmab, F65, SAA/hypo MDS dx 7/2011. Tried ATG/CsA, IvIG, Rituxan, prednisone, Promacta -- none of these helped. Transfusion dependent until MUD BMT 7/17/14. Prep. regimen of Campath, Fludarabine & Cytoxan. Doing great. 100% engraftment. No GVHD.