View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 29, 2012, 07:59 AM

It is my understanding that steroids are the traditional treatment for hemolytic anemia. Don't know about the Danazol. You are right in that your marrow is trying to churn out red blood cells, but the hemolysis is destroying them, affecting your hgb number. The prednisone, etc., as you know, are prescribed in order to tame the hemolysis.

Thanks for your thoughts about my hip problem. Fortunately most people do not get this side effect (AVN) from steroids, although it is not as rare as many people are led to believe. So, as is usually the case with drugs, it is a matter of weighing the benefits against the risks, and steroids do offer benefits in many folks with hemolysis. If you do not see improvement, though, I think it is important to consider the consequences of staying on steroids long term.

That said, I hope the new combo of meds works for you -- might be just the thing!

Marmab
Marmab, F65, SAA/hypo MDS dx 7/2011. Tried ATG/CsA, IvIG, Rituxan, prednisone, Promacta -- none of these helped. Transfusion dependent until MUD BMT 7/17/14. Prep. regimen of Campath, Fludarabine & Cytoxan. Doing great. 100% engraftment. No GVHD.