View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 27, 2012, 05:20 PM

My experience has varied due to the fact that I need blood that comes from Phila and has to be ordered the day before. For example, I had 2 units Tuesday, as my Hgb was 7.5 on Monday; but one of those units was NOT fresh, and I needed 2 more today, Friday. Twice is one week is not good, as my ferratin is sky high anyway.

Yesterday my Hgb was 8.3, but it would have been Tuesday before I got blood, so we decided to do it today. Hopefully it will last a few weeks, as both bags today were fresh, due to expire the end of Feb....I totally agree with the fresh factor, but how do you insure it?

There have been times when my Hgb was in the 7's and I felt great! Even today, I didn't feel that I needed blood. I think sometimes certain bags of blood agree with your system more than others....and also, what other health issues you have at the time.

I don't think I have ever gotten just one unit of blood, but if that is enough to keep you going, less is better....
Cheri Age 54; dx Oct 2009 AML, induction chemo only;dx MDS July 2010,- PRBC transfusion dependent; Results BMB 8/4/11--- 6-8% blasts; Danazol 100 mg 3xday; quit Exjade/ GI distress; platelets holding 40's; Fluctuation in blasts in blood--Neupogen 3-4xweek; off Revlimid again! Procrit weekly