View Single Post
Old Sat Oct 29, 2016, 09:41 AM

Question Boost for low blood counts

I had my stem cell transplant in April of this year (2016). Things were going fairly well for a while – just a moderate amount of GVHD (mostly skin, upper GI tract, mouth) and a couple instances of viruses – CMV and BK. In August my WBC count started to decline and in October my RBC count and platelets followed suit. At my last visit my counts were WBC=1.0, RBC=2.93, and platelets were 4. I have been getting platelets every two or three days and when I go back, they are down in in the single digit range.

My doc has mentioned doing what he terms a “boost” – an infusion of stems cells from my original donor. He seems reluctant to do it because he says he will have to get me off of prednisone completely and the boost may trigger more serious GVHD than I have had in the past.

My last biopsy show “markedly reduced” cellularity – 10 to 15% but no cytogenetic abnormalities. The biopsy was done when my platelets first went to 4. A biopsy done at day 100 showed a cellularity of 25 to 30%

My question is has anyone had a procedure similar to the “boost”? Also has anyone had a problem where all your blood counts start to decline around 6 months from the your transplant?

Thanks for any opinions or insight.

Data