View Single Post
Old Sat Oct 29, 2011, 06:05 PM

Question Returning to sports

I had my transplant on August 3rd 2011 and I have been home for about a month. I am still living close to the hospital but, my doctors say that I am doing well compared to others. My counts took a lot longer than usual to start to go up but, once they did things have gone very fast! I am finally feeling as well as I was post transplant and close to where I was before I was diagnosed initially. One of my coaches came to visit today and was hoping for a return date. He wants me on the roster for next year which means I would start training on the ice in July and probably in the January-March range to get my strength back enough to play. I told him yes, that sounded right. But, my transplant team says that we will have to wait and see. They said it is possible as long as my bleeding is under control (that has been my biggest issue during my AA journey). I explained that I have been out for 2 years and it is my passion so he already started with a athletic therapist to regain muscles. He is still trying to get my hopes down but that's how I get better, even if I miss the goal it pushed my spirits up! Realisticly, how long has it taken others? I want to give him a good time frame for my return !