View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 23, 2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailie View Post
I posed the question, "Vidaza after SCT" to my doctor. They (Oregon Health and Science University, Philip Knight Cancer Institution) do not generally consider Vidaza as a maintenance program following SCT. I did relapse at about Day +230 and was immediately prescribed Vidaza at that time. I am now in my 4th cycle of Vidaza following relapse. After the 2nd cycle I showed no signs of leukemia, no genetic mutations and 100 percent donor cells. Naturally, no one knows how long this "remission" will last. The doctors did say that from their information there was not a significant difference doing Vidaza following SCT to prevent relapse. Their thinking was not to "wear out your welcome" by using Vidaza until it was definitely needed (such as my case). I don't know, and I don't know if anyone knows, the correct line of thinking. There are so many variables with each person.

But this type of thinking is very new for post-transplant patients so how would your doctor know if this is something valuable for high-risk patients like my dad? I have only been able to find it in trials so I am surprised that "their information there was not significant difference" when this is so new? Can you refer to a study where this correlates to what your doctors are saying?
Daughter of father diagnosed with MDS RAEB-II intermediate risk due to normal cytogenetics. Blasts at 13% peripheral blood at diagnosis with no cytopenias. 6 cycles on Vidaza then on to SCT at Duke. BMT from my brother and now showing signs of relapse. DLI in the works.