View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 3, 2017, 11:05 PM

Hi disco3md,

Your wife will be in good hands at NIH, as I am sure that they have seen-it-all and know how to respond.

ATG is sometimes called shake-and-bake. That is what it was for me. I spiked a very high fever and had severe chills the first night. This was definitely the most miserable part of it all. It is also the riskiest part. If you can stay with your wife through that first night, I am sure that she will be grateful.

I felt pretty wiped out for the 2nd day and had painful swelling in my chest. By the third (?) or fourth day, I felt good enough to be walking around the hospital.

I had severe headaches when they administered the ATG. Some people will get severe leg cramps and a rash. Everyone is different.

How long she stays in the hospital will be dependent on whether she gets an infection or complication. She could be sent home within a week if all goes well. I felt like I was getting better almost immediately after ATG. It still took a while for me to get off transfusions, but at least I could feel that I was getting stronger instead of weaker.

Best of luck to her!