View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 09:32 AM

Hi Margie,

I'm glad you'll be able to use this information with doc to ensure proper dosage and admin of Exjade. Also, you should have a basline hearing and vision test done prior to starting your Exjade. When John started his Exjade, he started at 500mg/day.

I recently saw one of those University medical programs where they were assessing failures in medical processes. They talked about the various checks in place to ensure that patients get the right dose and right drug. The most interesting point they made was that the patient is the last check in this system and they should feel empowered to question their healthcare provider if things don't seem right. The biggest hurdle to empowering patients however is the doctor. They don't create an evironment where patient feel secure enought to question the doc. BTW...this was presented by a doctor. So I am glad that you are taking the time to understand your meds so you can avoid a costly mistake. It's not that anyone is intentionally trying make a mistake, it's just that we are all human and things get overlooked.

Marlene
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.