View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 15, 2009, 02:04 PM

Clofarabine Clinical Trial

We started the trial last week. Mom's blasts jumped from 4% in August to 30% the end of September. Mom had tried Vidaza for 6 months without success. We are going through Baylor University. I realize clincal trials can be for future patients but I also felt that we were running into possible AML if we didn't get started on something. My mom was always a really healthy and active person until about a year or year and a half ago she started getting sick a lot. Three years ago she was having some problems and had her blood work done. Her WBC level was very low. I think she has had this longer than their estimations of a few months prior to diagnosis.
They put a port in last week in the middle of the first 5 days of the clinical trial. It is very painful but helpful during the transfusions. She has had 2 transfusions so far. None were needed until last week.
We are in the hospital now--she has pneumonia. She is feeling better but the pneumonia isn't budging yet. We've been here for 2 days.
Mimi, daughter of Lucy age 77, diagnosed MDS Jan. 09; Vidaza Jan 09-Jun 09 no improvement; Clofarabine clinical trial Oct 09-Feb 10 mild improvement in blasts; blasts 4% in Aug 09; 30% Sep 09; 2% in December; 30% in March; AML diagnosed April 2010 .