View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 15, 2015, 09:27 PM

Just joined Marrow forums

I was an USAF jet engine mechanic 1978 - 2008 (post Vietnam/AO).
I was diagnosed with MDS in Mar 2015 and received a stem cell transplant at a non-VA facility in July 2015.
I am 30% service connected for my back (20%) and Barrett's esophagus (10%).
I have my initial referral appt with the VA Oncology dept Sept 2015.
I have an appt with my local American Legion representative tomorrow afternoon in an effort to understand what I should do in an effort to get my MDS, service connected.
As a jet engine mechanic for 20 years, it isn't going to be a stretch to convince anyone I came in contact with Benzene on a daily basis. I was also stationed at Travis AFB from 79-82 working on the very cargo planes that carried the AO to Vietnam. Additionally (like many bases), Travis AFB has become a EPA Superfund site for the chemicals that were used there. The EPA report identifies the building I worked at which was used to clean engine parts and list the following chemicals "methyl ethyl ketone" "phosphoric acid" "sodium hydroxide" "methylene chloride" "PC 111" potassium hydroxide" "alkaline permanganate" "nitric acid".

Seems like I have a lot of ammunition going in, but after reading what everyone else has gone through I am not feeling too lucky.