Thread: Low platelets
View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 4, 2011, 04:18 AM

.. but i don`t know about a classification that classifies your father as high risk MDs patient "only" having 2 cytopenias and being transfusion-dependend for red blood an platelet conserves.. Has he additional complicated chromosome mutations? Or a certain blast count? Otherwise i cannot imagine that he is high risk according to his two cytopenias.

Look at the helpful IPSS Scores on

http://www.marrowforums.org/mds.html#classification

First you see in the IPSS Point Chart in how many IPSS Points the blood accounts of your father result. And then you see by the Classification Chart in which risk class by IPSS the MDS of your father belongs. Even with the two cytopenias (red blood cells, platelets= 0,5 points) and a poor cytogenetics (1,0 points) and Bone Marrow blasts of 5-10 % (0,5 Points) = 2 Points this would be only intermediate-2 and not high risk.

But i suppose the doctors of your father see his MDS as "High Risk" in the sense, that by additional indicators your father is in high danger for mortality because of his disease (low platelet counts, many transfusions, maybe plus other special health problems/diseases/comorbidities..)

This is supposedly a point being adressed in the upcoming ASH Webinar on 19. January: Prognosis only by IPSS (or WPSS) Score is not precise enough.There have been studies presented at ASH 2010 who tried to evaluate extra patient parameters/diagnostic specialities additionally to IPSS.. scoring to result in a better prognosis estimation. For example there was developped a new score with nine different points, a lot more than included in the IPSS or WPSS.. You could register for the webinar and send your special question regarding diagnosis and prognosis of your father to the speakers, Dr. David Steensma and Dr. Gail Roboz.. As i learned from the archives - i did not yet attend a webinar - there should exist the possibility to send messages to the speakers during the session, and they will answer during the session or later (if not possible during the webinar).

http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=1909

Might be that the risk of your father converting to AML is not so high, but there are the other problems that cause his actual probably lifethreatening condition..

Kind regards,

Margarete

Last edited by akita : Tue Jan 4, 2011 at 04:40 AM.