View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 17, 2009, 04:41 PM

Hi 5Q Spray,

I too have an enlarged spleen; in fact it's large enough to be identified as severe splenomegaly. This designation is applicable when the greatest dimension of the spleen exceeds 20 cm. So far my size is estimated to be greater than 9 x 22 cm. See the following reference regarding the sever splenomegaly phrase:

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/206208-overview

I believe it was just this last June that I became aware of some kind of enlargement. Then a week ago it started feeling like there was a softball in my left upper quadrant. A bit alarmed, I went to an urgent care clinic (having checked that they could have an ultrasound done if necessary). I had an upcoming appointment with my hemo and thought I'd give her a heads up with some ultrasound data. Alas, it was all for naught as the urgent care doctor said he knew the abdominal mass (readily palpable) in my upper quadrant was my spleen, even though I knew there were other possiblities. He did however call my doctor and then my doctor scheduled an ultrasound for the next day. All well and good except for the fact that when I had the ultrasound, the tech never ran the probe over the palpable mass area, in spite of my pleading. She said she can only do the spleen as that was what the order was for. The radiologist who reviewed the ultrasound data, wrote that my spleen is at least 9.2 x 22 cm.

My hemo has been tracking growth of the spleen by palpitating the tip just below the rib cage on the far left side of the upper quadrant. I have never discerned where that tip is. The doc on the other had been tracking it's extension downward. Now the abdominable mass that I could feel was to the left, toward the center of my body. I measured that area as being 5 x 18 cm. So to conclude this long story, I know I have a really big spleen and possibly an enlarged liver as well. I guess it's the extramedullary hematopoiesis that is at least one of the causes of organ enlargement. That phrase simply refers to the manufacture of blood cells outside the marrow where they normally are made.

I have a lot of discomfort and have been put on Hydrea, a chemo drug. This however, is dicey as it will make one's counts drop and mine are already low, Hgb 9.3 and platelets 48000. So I take one 500 mg capsule every other day with weekly CBC monitoring. I asked if I might have to have the spleen removed - she said that she didn't think it was an option (at least at this time).

Wishing you the best,