View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 4, 2012, 07:00 AM

Thanks for the replies. Be The Match told me yesterday that starting in October, they will only register people ages 18-44, not 60 as previously. That cuts out 75% of my co-workers, darn. I was planning the drive for Oct, she suggested I do it in Sept so I could still get the 45-60 pool, but I don't feel this is the way I want to go.

The blood bank is a great idea, thanks. And I did think briefly about Eric's high school, but like you said, 99% of them are under 18. I work at a college, I'm thinking about focusing on the student population - I know they'll do it, it's the fundraising that I'll have to concentrate on. Kids don't have any money.

I thought of asking local businesses to sponsor $5 per donor.

When she told me yesterday about the lowering of the age limit, I asked about my being a donor (I'm a match, yea!), she wasn't sure. She thought they might use an unrelated younger match, rather than an older (ouch, that hurts) match. Also, my concern is that they are potentially eliminating a big segment of the available population. If my son had the choice between a 60 year old donor and no donor, I'd take the chance.

Why do you think they're going in that direction? Isn't 50 the new 30?