Thread: Mouth Sores
View Single Post
Old Fri May 3, 2013, 02:22 PM

Mouth Sores

Dennis is Day +8.

The mouth sores started on Wednesday -omg - he is suffering - I've never seen anything like it - he can barely speak or swallow. He's got them in his cheeks, throat and lips. He's getting lots of pain meds and he's getting a morphine drip for pain - the nurse said he gets another treatment of anti-rejection drugs on Monday - which will make the sores worse...then they'll begin to get better after that-

I have to say - this is the first time I've seen him this bad - yes, the arthritis and joint pain was difficult - but somehow this is different.

I'm so scared for the future and I can' help but wonder - is everything really going to be ok? This is only the beginning...

The nurse told me last night all this is normal and temporary - and that with the type of transplant he had (mud) they are little more difficult to recover from - and that we shouldn't be surprised if he goes home....comes back to the hospital..goes home..and comes back....to more or less expect this-

I know..one day at time..one day at a time.
Kathy, wife of Dennis (58 yrs old) diagnosed October 2012 w/MDS; bone marrow biopsy confirmed significant fibrosis;blast cells of 5%-10% of total cells, high risk refractory anemia w/ excess blasts (RAEB1); 3 cytogenetic markers; +1, -7, and +21
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/dennismolyneaux