Thread: Mouth Sores
View Single Post
Old Sat May 4, 2013, 05:13 AM

I suffered terribly with mouth issues too. Within a day I went from fine to being unable to swallow! I wouldn't even swallow my saliva & just spat into tissues. Within a day, I was hooked up to a push button pain relief system & TPN feeding through my central line (actually wasn't given choice on this). At first I was upset by the TPN because through 2 lots of induction chemo I kept eating, walking etc, but during the transplant I just couldn't do it. Even with the drugs swallowing anything even ice cream, water was unbearable!! To make things worse, my blood pressure would rise really high & I would get a massive headache then vomit from pain/ high BP. Vomiting was as painful as swallowing! But it didn't last too long maybe 3-4 days of really acute pain (spent in drug induced haze) & maybe a week before my newly made white blood cells cleared up the sores & I was off the TPN. I was told I was very normal & I was still released day +21 after only 3 1/2 wks in hospital even though I was told to expect to be in 6-8 wks. Eating was a struggle for awhile but was put on steroids for some Gvhd & since been eating too much & have quickly put on all the weight I lost (believe me I didn't need it back). So anyway hang in there, it is a long bumpy road & this is just one speed bump but hopefully will quickly pass. Good luck..

Sharnie