View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 9, 2012, 01:43 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
I'm not a big fan of the "journey" language that we all seem destined to use when talking about cancer. It always feels like my "journey" is in the backseat of a particularly smelly Greyhound bus, booked with a ticket I didn't buy, taking me to a place I don't really want to go.

But the truth underneath all that "journey" talk is that, ultimately, you do have to put one foot in front of the other and do stuff. And the doing of that stuff, unpleasant as it can sometimes be, has value, and meaning, and even a few rewards.

The other good thing about the "journey" is that, even if the bus is smelly, your fellow passengers tend to be some of the strongest, friendliest, most helpful and compassionate folks you are every likely to encounter.
The way I see it, we were driving our own bus when somebody named Bone Marrow Failure grabbed the steering wheel from us and turned in a different direction. We missed a stretch of the original road -- nothing we can do about that now -- but we and our support team have gotten us headed back in the right direction, on a different road than we started on but still one we choose to be on.