View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 9, 2009, 12:46 PM

Iron Overload & Kidney function

Hi all, it's been a while. Dad is receiving blood and platelets today, he still gets platelets every 8 days, but is going between 6 & 7 weeks between blood transfusions.
His ferritin level is very high and his oncologist wants us to consult with a nephrologist due to decreased kidney function (caused by vasculitis 5 yrs. ago). He tried Exjade last year, but his kidneys became severly compromised, with his creatinine level going over 4 and his bun level at 60!
His levels are better, but his creatinine hovers at 1.8 - which for him is good.
I was wondering if Despherol would have similar side effects, since Dad's kidney function is already diminished. I am very concerned that we will not be able to treat the iron overload, and the dire consequences as a result. This is very frustrating, because although Dad remains transfusion dependent, he is feeling pretty well. He continues to make progress with his physical therapy, the osteomyelitis in his spine is under control, and his appetite is a little better, in spite of the cyclosporine - which is very hard on his stomach and esophagus.
I'm really frightened about the iron - his ferritin level is a bit over 4,000!!! Way too high!