View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 9, 2009, 02:15 PM

Iron overload

Hi Debra,
A ferritin value of a bit over 4000 is not so high - I looked at all abstracts about iron overload from the big conference ASH 2008 and found that some patients at well known clinics had 22000.

I started with Desferal iv with a small home pump (looks like a lemon) through my port-a-cath for 4 days in connection with transfusions Aug 2007 when I had been transfusion dependent since May 2006. Everything was OK till Dec 2008 when the ferritin value increased. I got Desferal 4 days every week during 9 weeks but got neuropathy symptoms (rare adverse reaction with a burning sensation during 24 h from my right foot). I had not had any adverse reactions before that.

Now I get Desferal for 4 days with transfusions and treatment with Ferriprox (a pill not allowed in the US) with good effect and no adverse effects yet.

When you look at the adverse reactions of Desferal you will find this: "Desferal is contraindicated in patients with severe renal disease or anuria (no urin production), since the drug and the iron chelate are excreted primarily by the kidneys."

I think it is a good idea to consult a nephrologist about Desferal for your father - probably it will be OK.
Kind regards
Birgitta-A