View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 13, 2008, 04:04 PM

Supplements to counteract CsA

Hi Missy,

Are you taking any Potassium or Magnesium supplements along with the Cyclosporin?

My hemo has had me on them from the beginning, and I think they do help with the energy levels and mental outlook. In fact, I just got a copy of my medical records and logged all my counts into a spreadsheet. I noticed that whenever the hemo has measured my magnesium level, it has been right on the lower limit of "normal". Working on the assumption that it probably dips below normal between tests, I added a little more magnesium to my daily regimen, and I think it may have made a difference.

Of course, I only make changes that I think will do no harm. I will tell my hemo about it this week just to be on the safe side.

As for waiting on transfusions, I used to hope for my hgb to be 7.9 or lower whenever I was getting really low, so I could get that blood and feel better. Now I really try to learn the live happily when the count is low, hoping to minimize iron overload.

Have you ever considered that your "airheadedness" might be because you are also distracted by this disease? Imagine what your thinking would be like without this constant "threat"... it's easy to not be "all there" under the best of circumstances!
Male, 56, dx Nov2006 VSAA (BMA:0%). Responded to ATG/CsA/Prednisone/Neupogen Dec 2006, but relapsed in June 2007. Counts are responding to using CsA 200mg bid alone since Jun 2008. Last PRBC tx: Jul 2008.