View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 20, 2013, 01:57 PM

Dealing with common secondary effects of Ciclosporin

Hey all,

I'm a new member here! I received a BMT in August 2012 after having been diagnosed with AA. Everything had been going very well until recently when I started feeling nauseous and having intestinal cramps almost every day (which leads to spending much time in the bathroom). I've been taking ciclosporin for 6 months (since the transplant), I started with 200mg in the morning and again in the evening. Once every week or two, I'd experience intestinal cramps but I could live with it. In January my dose was lowered to 300mg/day (after they saw a problem with my kidneys). Then my doctors raised the dose up to 350mg/day at the start of February. Shortly after I started getting pretty severe nausea and diarrhea, and I've been experiencing this almost every day since. It's worse in the mornings, I was told it can be a pretty heavy drug to take on an empty stomach, but I can't eat very much in the mornings.

My question is, if people have been through the same thing, what can I eat before, or what medication could I take to help reduce these effects ? Yesterday my doctor prescribed 40mg of Pantoprazole daily, have people had success with this medication ?

Any information at all would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Matt