View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 29, 2016, 09:19 AM

Thank you Debbie. This topic has particular interest for me. I believe that I developed "donor cell leukemia" (DCL) when I relapsed at about Day+210. A primary characteristic of DCL is relapsing with completely different mutations etc. than prior to SCT. My relapse (30 percent blasts and Philadelphia chromosome) was short lived. I started immediately with Vidaza and dasatinib and quickly went back in remission. DCL is felt to be grossly under-reported in the literature but now receiving considerably more attention. Many researchers now feel that donors can be carriers or have a genetic disposition of leukemia but not exhibit the disease. It is a hypothesis that it could be the reason why some people unexplainably relapse and others relapse who might seemingly appear more healthy.

You also helped answer one of my questions that I have wondered. That question was/is, "can a person have MDS/AML without having genetic mutations?" Apparently that is possible. Then I have wondered what specifically causes the higher blast count if not for the mutations? All very interesting.

Last edited by bailie : Thu Sep 29, 2016 at 10:35 AM.