Thread: Need Help
View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 1, 2014, 10:03 AM

Feeling hopeful

Since I last posted my dad has seen his doctor again, along with my mom and my sister who is a ICU nurse. Got a lot of answers and hopefully a new plan. He also had a pic line put in. The doc did say my dad is SAA not AA, which is what I thought but never heard it from the doc. He still thinks we shouldn't do the atg, which we all agree but would like to try promacta. He's still on cyc at a dose of 300mg/day which he is tolerating a lot better. The doc wants to finish out the cyc, about 2 weeks left and then start promacta. My dad's latest CBC was: ANC .70, WBC 1.3, hgb 8.3, RBC 2.87 and platelets 12(transfused 4 days prior). So I have a few more questions.

Since my dad has started cyc he has been able to skip a week twice without getting blood. His hgb is dropping but at a slower rate. Does this mean cyc is starting to work and we need to give it more time before starting promacta.

With the promacta, my dad's insurance won't cover all the cost. They will have to pay $2400 a month. We are looking at trying to get some assistance since my parents couldn't do that long term. Anyone have any suggestions on what I should look up? Any trials?

Again thank you very much for any advise!