View Single Post
Old Sun Jun 7, 2015, 10:12 AM

in the doctor's waiting room, hospital halls/waiting room, elevators in medical buildings, ER's, when changing the bandage and flushing his hickman port (both of us would wear a mask then), and outdoors if any construction was going on in the area to protect against molds. When he had zero white cells, anytime he was out in public, which was rare.

If I got a cold, I would wear the mask at home. At Hopkins, the nurses wore masks during cold/flu season, when they had a cold and when they did maintenance on his hickman.

We too found that the doctors and other medical professionals, outside of hematology, did not follow/adhere to mask wearing protocols. John would have to ask them to wear one and to wash their hands too. They are very inconsistent with infection control still. And it's becoming a bigger problem with anti-biotic resistant infections that are spread in hospitals.

He never wore gloves though. Washed his hands a lot and use hand sanitizer.

I don't feel you need to wear one when you are in your hospital room. I assume they gave you a private room? Nor at home with family members.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.