View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 27, 2009, 12:33 AM

Just an Update....

Hello Everyone. I've not posted since 10/17/09. Ron didn't feel as good on his 7th & 8th Cycle as he did during his previous cycles. He really felt run down, although his Blood Counts continued to look good.

Aside from Ron's MDS Condition, he developed an "Unrelated condition" that really put a damper on the past few weeks.... During Ron's 8th Cycle he had a problem with Burning senstation when he urinated and he had to go very frequently.

The medical staff has determined that his condition was "unrelated to Vidaza"..... but, of course, anytime your immunity system is lower than the average person, it much harder to fight any new development and/or condition....

Who knows, perhaps this condition, combined with his Vidaza injections is why he had a really "Run down feeling" these past several weeks...... That's what I have a tendency to believe...

Ron's family doctor put him on Flomax due to his history (2 yrs ago) having enlarged prostrate. He was also prescribed Pyridium for burning relief. This was on Friday (Day 3 of Cycle 8 Vidaza). It only got worse, and Ron then mentioned this to the on-scene doctor while getting his weekend Vidaza injections. That doctor believed it to be a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI). They collect Ron's urine for testing and he was told to start taking "Cipro" antibiotic. The Next day though, it was determined it was not a UTI & the Hemotologist told Ron he needed to see a Urologist ASAP. Luckily, Ron got a same day appt.

The Urologist prescribed Ron antibiotic Bactrim, and him to remain on Flomax, and to take Ibuprophin as needed to reduce inflammation. The urologist confirmed the prostrate was inflamed and told Ron he'd require antibiotics to treat bacterial prostrate prostitis.

On Thursday, (Day 8 of Cycle 8) Ron came down with a Fever, 101.9F during Vidaza injections and he felt really really bad. The Hemotologist recommended that Ron be admitted into the hospital and did not like that Ron was on Bactrim. He removed him from Bactrim, as it was NOT the antibiotic of choice for someone with MDS. AND, not to take Ibuprofin... (as it affects platelets).

The Hematologist recommended hospital admission and Ron agreed, as his fever continued to climb. That night, it shot all the way up to 104.4F. He was dilerious... and really doesn't remember anything about that night. He was in a lot of pain - lower back due to the prostrate inflammation, so they gave him pain killers and finally a one time administering of morphine. He was out like a light. They kept him on high-potency antibiotics by IV to try to help him break the fever....

The fever didn't let up until Saturday evening after Midnight... I had called my prayer warriers via email Saturday evening around 6pm when I came home to take care of my dog for a short... and take it to my friends house. Then, I was back at the hospital... and witnessed Ron's temperature fall below 100F just after midnight. It was awesome! They then changed his IV drugs and put him on Levaquin and continued to monitor temperature the next few days while inpatient. Finally, Ron was released on the following Tuesday... Let's just say, it was a Long Week!!! Ron was wiped out!

We had missed a planned trip while Ron was in the hospital, so, we re-scheduled for the following week. We were out of town for 4 days. We also had a planned trip this Saturday to travel to Cancun, MX, but, decided, it would be best not to leave country right now... just for safety sake... Ron is still on antibiotics and really can't afford to pick something else up right now... and if he did come down with a fever, he'd need to go right in the hospital to get it back under control until he "Kicks" this prostrate prostitis. The Urologist said it may take up to 30 days to fully fight this condition.

Ron still has a lot of burning and discomfort. He remains on Levaquin & Pyridium as needed. His hematologist checked his platelets and told him they were okay for Ron to take Ibuprophin for just 3-Days to try to get some relief with the inflammation.

Then, to come off of it. Meanwhile, when asking the Urologist again about the Flomax and purpose of taking it, the urologist said Ron should not be taking it now... with frequent urination... (Glad we Asked again)....

So, I'm sure you understand why I haven't posted the weekly Blood counts. we're headed out of town this Saturday for several days. I'll try to get the documents together & load up the counts for your review... as Ron continues on this clinical trial....

God Bless All of You!
Cindy