View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 25, 2013, 07:46 AM

It was the first sign that something was wrong with Eric too. I remember he came to me and said, "Mom, I have spots on my feet." Of course I Googled it, and because both my father in law and brother in law died of leukemia, I thought for sure that's what it was. I took him to the doctor, and while his platelets were 106 his wbc was only 1.6. The doc had him come back weekly to keep an eye on things, but a month later his counts totally crashed and we were sent to the emergency room. He was diagnosed with SAA and had hATG.

He now has a diagnosis of "bone marrow failure not otherwise specified," which is like being in limbo. He goes for labs every three months (it was every two until last month), and bone marrow biopsies once a year.

Part of me likes labs because they're reassuring (they've stayed the same for two years), but part of me knows this could go on for years and years and not to worry about it because we'll see symptoms. Like petichiae spots, bleeding gums, bruising...

Thanks for listening. These boards have been invaluable, thank you Neil.