View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 24, 2015, 05:15 PM

Hi Tracey - so sorry - you must be exhausted - but glad the colostomy is only temporary. I was sick for about three years before my transplant - slowly declining - slowly losing the ability to do all the sports and outdoor activities I loved - until i had become a full time patient - getting weekly transfusions etc. Before the transplant, as I mentioned somewhere I think (brain fuzzy) they found heart disease - needed stent - changed transplant plans - a very depressing time In many ways the period leading up to the transplant was worse than the transplant itself - that all said - my pre-transplant sounds like a picnic compared to what you have gone through. The good thing about finally getting the transplant is feeling like I can actually get better - back to normal -or at least close enough.

At this point just focus on getting stronger - try an eat and gain weight - don't worry too much about what you eat - healthy is better but calories are better than no calories- maybe try protein bars or drinks - ice cream is always good - so rich in protein and calcium Move as much as you can and appreciate your loved ones. Don't despair - stay hopeful and grateful - you will get through this - a positive attitude is critical - i believe this in many ways will be the hardest part - not to say the transplant will be easy - but at least you be on your way up and not hanging in limbo. Talk to your transplant team and see if they can do the transplant sooner than later - they may be able to work around the colostomy - especially if you don't have any active infections. During my transplant they were careful not to do things that would be too stressful for my heart - they are used to dealing with many "co-morbidities".

My transplant team and cardiologists made it a priority to just get me in good enough shape for the non-ablative transplant - not totally fix the heart first - just some duct tape. They also felt the MDS was contributing to the heart problems - and it may very well be contributing to your other problems

Sorry if I'm rambling - but I want you to get the transplant done and on your way to being well again - and I really want you to stay strong and positive until that time - I fully intend to hold you to our summer coffee date - you are in my prayers and if can be of any kind of help let me know -

Stay strong! paul
Lower risk MDS diagnosed 2012. Recurring skin nodules treated with prednisone, otherwise watch and wait. HG dropped from 11.5 to 8.7. Kept going down to 5. Vidaza didn't work. BMT from MUD on September 10 2015