View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 17, 2013, 04:41 PM

Hello, I hope your son is starting to feel a bit better.

In answer to your question about Metroprolol, this is typically used to lower high blood pressure & his seems fine so I don't think this would be recommended. The headaches could be from the cyclosporine or low magnesium. I had a lot of head pressure while on the higher doses of cyclosporine which he will be on for a bit of time still after the ATG, before the doses are lowered . I particularly noticed the head pressure would start to occur within an hour after taking the cyclosporine and it would settle after several hours.

While taking cyclosporine both the cyclosporine and magnesium levels really must be checked weekly. The reason to check the cyclosporine levels weekly is to ensure the dosing is correct-not too high & not too low. The timing to check this level is about 11-12 hours after the last dose & before the next dose is taken. As others said, the cyclosporine wastes magnesium (his Dr should know this) & if the magnesium is low, this could cause headaches, tingling in hands and lips, muscle aches. This us why the magnesium levels should also be checked weekly. Some of these same symptoms can also be caused by the cyclosporine. Particularly for me I had hand tingling and burning from the cyclosporine, as well as the head and neck pressure. Luckily these symptoms will reduce when the Dr is able to lower the cyclosporine levels

Regarding the magnesium, While on cyclosporine, I was on 1000mg/day & many adults are on higher doses. This high dose was necessary to keep my magnesium at normal levels. I found 100mg capsules of magnesium glycinate, which I've been told is the preferred type, though it can be hard to find. Magnesium can cause a temporary "flushing" feeling for a short time after taking it. It can also be hard on the stomach for some & cause lower digestive issues for most, depending on the dose. So finding a balance between how much is needed to maintain levels in the body and trying to minimize digestive issues may take a while to figure out. With the 100 mg capsules, I was able to spread the dose throughout the day so rarely had digestive issues once I figured it all out.

Also, the magnesium is best taken with food to help with absorption, and at least 30 minutes prior to the Cyclosporine so it can start to absorb before the cyclosporine "hits".

Good luck!!