View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 19, 2008, 12:13 PM

low reticulocytes?

Hello,
I am a 3 yr breast cancer survivor with some questions. My counts have been off since I finished chemo with some things like MCV getting worse. However, as my oncologist points out, they are stable. Low, but stable. I get my blood checked every 3 months; usually, my doc just orders a cbc. Last time, she checked my reticulocytes as well. I have incredible fatigue--much worse than my rbc would indicate. If I were working, I would have to quit. As it is, I feel I can't take care of my children and home. So, I'd like to know if there's a reason for this fatigue or am I just giving in? My doc has been mentioning MDS for the last year and a half, but she said in March that if I had MDS, my counts wouldn't stay stable--they would drop dramatically. Is this true?

My onc in on vacation until mid-Aug and the nurse is unable to answer my questions. Would someone tell me if my most recent counts, particularly the reticulocyte , is anything to be concerned about? Should I change doctors?

Here are some numbers:
reticulocyte 0.2
Abs retic .0076
rbc 3.69
hgb 12.3
hct 36.8
MCV 100.8

My wbc is up for the first time in 2 1/2 yrs to the normal at 4.7. However, my abs lymph is up to 1.83. In Feb. my wbc was at 3.0 and my abs neut was 1.21. My onc said not to worry and I didn't. But I developed shingles a month later.

Thanks for any advice anyone can give--
Connie