View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 19, 2008, 09:41 PM

Connie,

Your retic is low, as is your abs retic, though I don't come up with the same figure--I have abs retic as 0.19, which is barely below normal. Retics are reticulocytes. Basically, they are baby red blood cells. The bone marrow releases red blood cells which are not fully matured. They are larger than mature cells. The retic count tells how well your bone marrow is producing new red blood cells. Try http://www.mdcalc.com/absretic for a calculator. The absolute retic number is important in anemia. Under normal circumstances, the body responds to anemia by producing more rbc's. So while the retic may look normal (0.5-1.5), if the body is working to compensate for the anemia, the abs retic should be 2 or above. I used 39 for normal hct as that is mid way on the range for normal hct. You might check your lab work, it should have a range, plug the middle number in for normal hct.

You should have ranges for all your other counts also. Here are the values my hematologist uses:

rbc 3.8-5.1
hgb 11.7-15.5
hct 35-45
mcv 81-100--mine has been up to 112, but is in the normal range currently

I think your abs lymphs are OK, my range is 1-4.8

It must be frustrating to not be able to talk to the oncologist. Is this the oncologist who took you through your breast cancer? Do you feel comfortable with her? Is there another oncologist in the practice you can speak with? I wouldn't be too worried at this point. Though I am sure it would ease your mind to speak with someone.

Why has she suspected MDS? One other thing to look at is what were your counts like before cancer? What is a baseline for you?

Hope my rambling helps.

Zoe