Thread: Remission
View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 14, 2010, 08:26 AM

Hi all! Ok, does anyone get hot flashes after their chemo? I know I should be getting them anyway (mother nature) BUT I get real hot, then it goes away. It is very annoying!

Mary, you were correct - everything is happening quick! I am scheduled to go in for an informational meeting with the transplant group today from 1:30 - 3:00 to discuss what to bring, what will take place at the hospital, etc. Friday I take my 24 hour urine jug with me to the Doctor appointment at noon and get to meet Dr. Nelson, my transplant doctor. They also have several tests (not sure which yet) scheduled after the Dr. appt. My brother, the donor, goes to see "his" doctor there next Tuesday to have whatever tests he needs done. They will schedule the remaining tests for next week for me. I did not know I will have total body radiation too..... Oh boy.

I was all happy yesterday when I asked the nurse coordinator how many days of chemo I would have. She looked up my protocol (that made me feel a bit good - not just a standard treatment!) and she said 2 days. woo hoo. I told her I would not be as sick then! Yay. She then said,,,, yes you probably will - from the radiation. WHAT? Yipper 11 hits of radiation are coming my way. She said they will do that day 1 in the hospital - I think (?) it will be 11 hits in intervals through the day. She said I would get 3 (?) first thing. I'm not sure how this works and will have to ask questions today! I'm wondering if they hook up the chemo day 1 too? Might as well hit me hard on day 1! I've convinced myself that if I am going to go through this I might as well go through the whole shabam! Hopefully the radiation will kill those bad cells hiding in my body someplace. It's amazing isn't it? They (medical people) darn near kill my body but know just when to stop! (I hope!!)

I'm popping adivans. I am a bit anxious about all of this.... ok, I'm real anxious! I may end up being hooked on medicines after this is over with!

I am meeting my attorney this week to sign my proxy for my husband to NOT let them keep me hangin on in case of something going wrong. Also, to get my will in order. I needed to do this anyway. I'm not sure it is good to know you have something like this disease...... I'm mixed on it. Funny thing is my son has always been a supporter of stem cell use and I was not so keen on it because I thought it was playing God. Maybe God is showing me now! I'll update more as I know. If any of you have been through radiation let me know.

Prayers requested PLEASE. Thank you to all of you for your ongoing support. Hugs, Lori
Lori, female age 53 dx MDS-RAEB-II 15% blasts 10-2010. Induc Chemo 10/14/10 for 7 days - results unacceptable so 5 additional days chemo. Complete Remission 12/10/10!! SCT 1-11-11 remission achieved!!! BMB 1-29-11 100% Donor! cgvh eyes,skin (Caringbridge.org/visit/loripatrick)