View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 15, 2012, 12:14 PM

Yes, cathybee is correct. There is a difference between celiacs (gluten intolerance) and gluten sensitivity. You can be sensitive to gluten and not have celiacs. And she's also right in that a gluten free diet is actually very simple once you embrace it. Both of my girls are gluten intolerant. I've taken myself off gluten as well since we know that it has come through my family. Of course, eating gluten free is easier for my kids since they haven't lived 30 some years being able to eat all those yummy pastries that are no longer allowed.

Before being dx with celiacs, my sister had cbc's that were bottoming out after her hip surgery. Her blood test showed up negative for celiacs. Her colon biopsy was a last ditch effort kind of mission and it came back positive. She's been gluten free and completely normal since. After going gluten free myself, I was hoping to see a change in my counts like cme01's husband or my sister....maybe a slower drop, a stabilization, anything. We didn't see a change at all for me, but it's worth trying! Going gluten free doesn't hurt anyone and it's a simple change to see if there's a difference. Maybe you could get lucky!

36 yr. old, dx SAA in Jan 1996, treated with ATG in Mar. 1996, off cyclosporine Sept. 1996, last blood transfusion in Aug. 1997, slow decline in counts again November 2010, AA and current count decline thought to be caused by lupus, currently taking 400mg Plaquinil

Last edited by mscrzy1 : Wed Feb 15, 2012 at 12:29 PM.