Thread: Round 2 of ATG
View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 17, 2013, 08:43 PM

Hi aplasticgirl,

That is wonderful to hear your counts have risen over the past 15 years post-2nd ATG without relapse! That is the sort of story I love to hear, and I'm sure very encouraging information for Ashley O.

If I should ever relapse, my Dr. and I have pretty much decided I will go for a 2nd round of ATG before resorting to BMT, perhaps with some eltrombopag should NIH feel I was suitable for a trial.

Hi Ashley O,

I attended an AAMDS webcast in July hosted by Dr. Townsley from NIH. If I understood correctly, she said she was preparing a clinical trial for relapsed SAA patients to add Eltrombopag to the ATG/cyclosporine for their 2nd round - since the past and current Eltrombopag studies have been promising.

I wonder if they would perhaps consider adding you to that trial if you were interested? My Dr. cautions me not to get too hopeful over experimental treatments, but Dr. Townsley did say the current clinical trial of ATG/Cyclosporine/Eltrombopag for treatment naive patients is going so well, they believe it could revolutionize SAA treatment. It is hard not to feel hopeful upon hearing that!

Just wanted to bring that up, and of course with a clinical trial comes unknown risk.

Best Wishes,
Kevin
Kevin, male age 45; dx SAA 02/2012 - Hgb 5.8, platelets 14, ANC 200, 1% cellularity. Received ATG 03/2012. As of 03/2015, significant improvement - Hgb 15, platelets 158, ANC fluctuates around 1000, Lymphocytes 620. Tapering cyclosporine. BMB 20-30% cellularity.