View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 31, 2014, 06:03 PM

Not yet diagnosed but early on-set of AA??

Hello all, I am new to this site and I hope I can get some help here. Thank you.

My husband, 51 years old, recently discovered that he had low blood counts across the board. He had done blood transfusion once, and platelet transfusion 4 times. He had also done 1 bone marrow biopsy back in April 2014 and is due to have another one next week (August 5, 2014). His platelet level goes up and down from 10 to 36 during the time period. WBC 3.2, Hemoglobin 7.0. Bone marrow results ruled out all nasty stuff. Cellularity ranges from 5% to 80% with average of 40%. Reticulocyte Count 3.8% (range 0.5% - 2%) high. He used to have low B12 deficiency (2012) but now normal.

His doctor says that if he was forced to make a diagnose now it would be AA. We shivered at the comment as the treatment of ATG or BMT sound so scary.

Oh, another thing, he is otherwise very healthy and feels nothing other than tired occasionally. He exercises 2 hours a day (walk around the block). The reason he went for the blood test was because he had a nasty bruise on his arm back in April.

I guess what we are struggling with is that given that he is healthy and had a pretty healthy bone marrow, does he need to go for the treatment of ATG? The doctor is talking about such treatment as he would refer him to UCSF or Stanford after the 2nd biopsy. By the way, he had referred him to a Stanford doctor who concurred with his local doctor and asked him to wait.

Would appreciate any comments.